Ahead of the network’s upcoming Upfront presentation, Turner Broadcasting has put out a press release regarding the near future of Adult Swim programming. Many of the announcements made regarding their upcoming shows were reported on in the past by multiple sources (including this site), such as the Samurai Jack and FLCL revivals for Toonami and green-lighting new original shows such as Dream Corp LLC and Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace, but a multitude of new announcements were made as well. You can check out the official press release here, or read below for a more condensed version of some of the bigger announcements.
The most immediately important bit of news regarding the press release is the announcement of Toonami’s latest acquisition. Following the end of Dimension W‘s run on May 14th, an hour of DBZ Kai on May 21st, and a memorial day weekend marathon of Samurai Champloo, the block will begin airing its newest program – Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. The show is set to premiere June 4th in the 12:30 AM timeslot. The latest in the mega-popular Gundam mech franchise, Iron-Blooded Orphans follows the pursuits of a group of orphaned youths attempting to fight off against those responsible for abandoning them on Earth.
Adult Swim Specials
- Robot Chicken has announced a new half-hour special based off the popular comic book/AMC television series The Walking Dead, which is being produced in collaboration with series creator Robert Kirkman.
- A special called Montana James produced by Funny Or Die has been announced. No date has been given yet, but it seems obvious from the description the special will spoof the classic Indiana Jones film series.
- Mr. Neighbor’s House will take the form of a live-action children’s program hosted by Brian Huskey (Children’s Hospital), focusing on the host and his inability to keep calm when doing a children’s television show, more than likely being a darkly humorous take on Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.
- A third entry in the Brett Gelman’s Dinner series is in production, this time featuring Brett and guests attempting to discuss the state of racial discrimination in modern American times.
Adult Swim Originals
- A trio of new pilots were announced for the network with their premiere dates currently unknown.
- Art Prison is a live-action pilot being produced by Starburns Industries (Rick and Morty) and follows prisoners inside of a prison for the Performing Arts.
- Lazor Wulf is an animated pilot about a wolf… who carries a lazer. Not much else to report on from there.
- Chuck Deuce, perhaps the most elaborately described of the new pilots, is a half-hour animated pilot that follows a surfer from Santa Cruz whom, after suffering a freak surfing accident, begins to experience increasingly unusual hallucinations as he attempts to go about his normal life.
- Adult Swim has announced several of its original shows will be returning for new seasons in the immediate and near future, including the following:
- Black Jesus
- Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule (season 4 premiering June 17th)
- The Eric Andre Show
- Mike Tyson Mysteries
- Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter
- Tim and Eric’s Bedtime Stories
- Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
- The Venture Bros.
- Mr. Pickles
These reveals will likely be elaborated upon at the network’s Upfront presentation happening sometime next week. So what do you think of these announcements? Are you excited to see any particular shows returning? Do you have any interested in the new specials and pilots that are coming soon? What do you think of Iron-Blooded Orphans joining the Toonami line-up? Let us know down in the comments or tweet at us @SquadSwim.